Dr. Nilanjan Ray Chaudhuri is an assistant professor at Penn State. He was an assistant professor in North Dakota State University (NDSU) from Aug. 2014 – July 2016. He was a lead engineer in General Electric Global Research Center, Niskayuna, NY.
He received his Ph.D. degree from Imperial College London, London, UK in 2011, and M.Tech degree from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi, New Delhi, India, in 2005, both in Power Systems. From 2005-2007, he worked in General Electric (GE) John F. Welch Technology Center, Bangalore, India, in the Edison Engineering Development Program (EEDP). He came back to GE and worked in GE Global Research Center, NY, USA during 2011-2014.
He is the recipient of the National Science Foundation Early Faculty CAREER Award in 2016. Research Areas Power system dynamics and control, wide-area monitoring systems, application of power electronics in power systems, online system identification, FACTS, HVDC, renewable energy systems, distributed energy, and demand side response.
He is involved in the following synergistic activities:
- Editor, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery
- Guest Editor, IEEE TPWRD Special issue on “Frontiers of DC technology”
- Guest Editor, IEEE TPWRD Special issue on “HVDC transmission systems for large offshore wind power plants”
- Active member of CIGRE’ WG C4.34 and Lead for Chapter 6 titled "Recommended Areas of Further Research and Development"
- Senior member of the IEEE, member of IEEE PES, member of IEEE Power & Energy Education Committee (PEEC)
- Chair, 2015-2016 PEEC Survey Team
- Reviewer of numerous IEEE and IET journals